Monday, June 7, 2010

Fly Home

We trimmed our trees and found a surprise. We had a couple of bird nests in the branches. The kids found this baby bird. He looked healthy and largish for a baby.


I told the T.J. and Natalie that I didn't think the bird's mother would come back for it because it had fallen out of the nest and they had held it. They were determined to take care of it although I just wished they would come in and get ready for bed and leave the poor baby bird alone.
I didn't want to tell them that it would probably die.
They thought it might be helpful to try and help the little bird fly. He was so close. But after a couple of tries, we decided that he wasn't quite ready.

I told them to go ahead and put him back in the tree. I hoped they would forget about him so that we wouldn't have to deal with their disappointment when he didn't survive.
To my astonishment, his mother did return the next day and sat with him all day. I couldn't believe it! Two days later the bird and it's mother were gone.





No comments: