Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Highlights

This month seemed to fly by. And despite feeling very exhausted, we still did some fun things for one of my funnest holidays: Halloween!



One night, after our Family Home Evening lesson we did a fun mummy activity. Tyler, Natalie, and Elaina were our models as we wrapped them each in a role of toilet paper. After we mummified the kids, we went next door to scare our neighbors (Grandma & Grandpa)!

Mrs. Sandy asked Tyler if he wanted to come to her preschool's Halloween party. He isn't in preschool yet but he said he wanted to go. Tyler is pretty shy when he is in a big group so I was surprised he wanted to do it. I had to laugh when they broke the pinata and he retrieved 2 pieces of candy (after I coaxed and prodded!). He loved the bounce house and going fishing. He even caught a Superman toy!!

The last day of school before Halloween, the kids had a spooky meal in their lunch boxes. Thanks to the kids for helping make our ghoulish delights and to many of the fun ideas on the internet, we ended up with mummy dogs, bread stick bones, jello worms, and witch finger cookies.




Halloween night we went to the church for a hot dog and chili dinner and the annual trunk or treat. We were feeling a little wicked this year and all the kids went as villains. TJ was Hades, from Hercules. Natalie was the evil queen from Snow White. Elaina was Cruela DeVille from 101 Dalmations. Tyler was Captain Hook and Lydia was the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland. I made all of the costumes except Hook's, which we bought. Mom helped me with the finishing touches. By the time I got to Travis and my costumes, I was out of time and energy. No Maleficent and Jafar! We had to settle with a Mime and a Referee.
*Note to self: next year, plan more than one hour to get a pot of chili and 5 kids ready for Halloween!



5 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

SO DARLING! You guys look fabulous! I know how you feel. I didn't have any chili to make this time, but I started HOURS in advance and we were still running WAY behind. Too much make-up to apply!

Amanda said...

Seriously! I started making dinner at 3:30 this year. I need plenty of time to get everyone ready. And I didn't even dress up. It was nice having it on Saturday this year, so Nate could help too.

Deb said...

You guys look great. I love the hades costume(they all look awesome, but that was my favorite).

And those worms looked totally real and gross. I couldn't figure out how you made them until I read your post, very cool. We have mummy hot dogs every year for dinner, but that's all. I'll have to do those other food ideas next year.


So do you do digital scrapbooking?

stacey224 said...

You guys look great! Your Halloween treats look yummy too.

Liz said...

wow - you always impress me dana!!! and you've become quite the seamstress!! looks like everyone had so much fun!