Monday, June 22, 2009

A Tribute to Two Dads

MY DAD
My dad was my friend and my guide.
He led by quiet example and the occassional firm demand.
I would go to him if I was confused or sad or hurt. He would put his arm around me to sooth and heal.
He was fun and liked to do things with our family like water skii and scuba dive.
He and I would have fun playing volleyball and basketball although I don't think I took his coaching tips very well.
He always told me that I could be anything I wanted and I believed him.
He was protective and watchful and never wanted me to be taken advantage of. He never wanted to see me hurt.
He was sensitive and kind and good.
I always knew he loved me. That's the greatest gift he could give me. I know that now. Thank you for loving me Dad.

MY CHILDREN'S DAD
Travis is a great dad.
Ever since we started to grow our family he has had this energy. I don't know where it comes from because I can rarely find it in myself. Somehow he could come home from a long, miserably hot, utterly exhausting day of concrete work and still wrestle, tickle, and play play play with little TJ. Come 4 more kiddos and he is still the same.
He knows how to make the little things fun for our children. Cleaning and working are fun because he makes them a game.
Travis knows how to teach our children good morals and gospel principles. He takes the time to talk with them when they make a mistake or need to take their learning to the next level.
He is kind but firm when he reprimands.
He is happy.
He is an example of what he believes.
He likes to be around his children and he loves their mother.
I have often thought that Travis would have been the better mother, but it is clear to me now that I have the job because I NEED it. I need to learn to be the kind of parent he is.
Thank you Travis for loving and leading our family. You are a wonderful father.

No comments: