We have been remodeling a home for my parents this summer. This project has kept us very busy and working hard, but we have enjoyed every minute. I wish I could post the before AND after pictures, but unfortunately we aren't quite finished. It is getting close though and we feel very excited.
The home had an arizona room, or an enclosed patio, that served as a bonus room. We decided that we wanted to open up that room into the main family room to make one great room where we can all gather comfortably during future family get-togethers.
Here are a couple of the before shots of the house:

The first phase of the project was knocking down the exterior wall of the az. room. After Travis, his dad and my dad took care of that, it was time to pour up the az. room floor so that it was level with the family room floor. The kids had a great time observing their grandpas and dad and Uncle Rusty work really hard in the really hot Arizona sun. Watching concrete being poured and finished is always fascinating and entertaining.
After the floor was finished, we had a family work party and did some major demolition! Tearing down is fun, fast, and filthy work. The wall between the az room and the fam room came down, the fireplace was ripped out, and the existing carpet and linoleum was removed. Oh, and let's not forget all the wallpaper we scraped off the walls!!
The next phase involved rewiring the room for lights, fans, etc. putting up new outer wall, installing a new door, cleaning and re-staining kitchen cabinets (not to mention the hours and hours Mom spent figuring out the best method and the right color, etc.), scraping away the residual laminate on the kitchen and bathroom floor, painting, installing new fans, paint prep work and painting the walls. I am sure I missed something!

I also loved the feeling of working hard and sweating buckets (ok I could have done without all of the sweating but somehow it makes you feel like you really put your all into your work!). Hard work is so rewarding, especially when you have great people working alongside of you. One of my favorite parts was having our kids help on the remodel. We laughed and teased and made some great memories. I got to see how these kiddos have grown in their abilities and their desire to help and work.
I can't wait to post the AFTER photos!

1 comment:
Awesome! I wish I could help! I love learning stuff like that.
Post a Comment