Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sweet, Sweeter, Sweetest

***
One of the SWEET things about living next door to my wonderful grandma is that she teaches me a lot of new things (usually involving the taste buds!!). This past weekend we bought two boxes of very yummy peaches and spent a few hours doing this:


Peaches are one of my favorite fruits and these ones did not disappoint. They were so juicy, and extremely flavorful. Wow! All the kids love them, which doesn't happen a lot. I wish they would stay fresh for weeks, but home canning really captures that amazing peach yumminess. Thanks Grandma!!


***


The next, even SWEETER news of the week is that TJ accomplished the incredible goal of reading the entire Book of Mormon in 45 days. He actually finished it a day early. This boy really loves to read, so Travis decided to challenge him to read all 531 pages of The Book of Mormon before 45 days were over. What a great thing to do at age 9. It was a great experience for me as I had the opportunity to answer a multitude of questions as he read and wondered what things meant and as he tried to understand better. He underlined many passages that were powerful and touching and I could tell that he was thinking about what the words meant. I am proud of him for wanting to know the Savior and understand the gospel.

Maybe we will challenge him to read the New Testament next. I suppose someday we should do the Old Testament together, I could use all the help I can get!!




***

The SWEETEST part about this week, so far, was going outside for foot races and football! The weather isn't exactly cool yet, but I think we are getting closer. Travis took the kids out front to challenge them to a race. The reason he did this is because they like to race him as he drives by every morning on his way to work. Well last week, I happened to have my running shoes on, so I raced Travis with the kids. I gave them a head start, of course, BUT I couldn't pull ahead of TJ. I think I barely squeeked out a win at the very last second, but I was so surprised. Did I mention that TJ was barefoot??? Well, Travis wanted his turn, so they took things outside. I figured I would need to stay inside with Lydia because she was getting fussy. Then Travis poked his head in and invited me to come out.
I am so glad I did. I had a great time watching the races and the football. Grandma came out, the neighbors came over, and a good friend stopped by. What a nice night! Travis has a great time with the kids and they love playing with him.
This video was pretty cute. Natalie said it was embarassing, but I thought it was great:



This was a fun shot. Please don't notice that Elaina is way behind. She is very sensitive and doesn't lose happily : )





This picture doesn't have anything to do with my post today except that she is my SWEETIE!


3 comments:

Amanda said...

Peaches are one of my favorite things about summer too.

Cool running pictures!

Deb said...

1. Wow, way to go T.J. I'm impressed. You can let him know he just inspired me to do the same thing.

2. Love the picture of Travis holding baby up. We used to do that with Adelaide ALL of the time. Our other kids never cooperated though.

3. I just read read your F.H.E. post and am very excited that I can get lessons from you. Keep them comin.

4. I don't know if you've read our blog lately, but quess what? We're moving to Oklahoma! Crazy huh? Ian got offered a job there.

Liz said...

Dana - your as cute as can be and such an awesome mom!!! you and Travis are doing a wonderful job raising that cute crowd of yours!!! two thumbs up TJ!!! and love Grandma too :)